Saturday, August 05, 2006

Vacation - continued!

OK, here's the rest of vacation...

Wednesday - Spent the day touring Penn State with the entire family. DH went to school there, so he was checking out all the changes. I had once worked for a company that was based there, so I couldn't believe the changes and how much the town grew. D was impressed with the school and is interested in going there. M was just interested in the stuff they were giving out - you know the "here, have a key chain, magnet, stuffed animal...". W was just kind of hung out while we pushed the stroller along. M had no meltdowns, even though it was a long, hot day. D was like her old self - which makes me wonder what's up.

Thursday - Still to be a heatwave today, so we decide to go to the "Beach" as M calls it. Actually, it's a state park that has a damn that you can swim and boat on. We get there and it's great, since there isn't a ton of people there. We put sunscreen on everyone and go in the water with the kids, while D sunbathes. W doesn't really like the water much, and would rather play in the sand, which he and I then do for the majority of the day. After we were there a while, a little boy that was 7 comes and takes one of our sand toys. I yelled at him and said that was ours and to return it. He comes back and tries to knock over a sandcastle D made... once again, I tell him that's ours. He then tries to push sand in the hole W and I made... you got it... I once again tell him (nicely, I might add) to knock it off. He goes off to terrorize elsewhere, but returns a bit later. M & he start digging and W wants to join in. The kid PUSHES W and tells him to "Get lost, Kid!". Whoa! Wait one minute, Brat! I again tell him if he wants to play with OUR toys that he has to play nicely and with both kids. He then starts playing with both kids for a bit, then gets bored and leaves. A few minutes later, he's back. He keeps coming and going for about 2 hours. Did I see a parent figure at all check on him? No - not the entire time. He said his mom was "over there" and when I looked, there was a woman tanning, but never once looked to see where he was or what he was doing. He was in and out of the water, running all over the beach... and although there wasn't tons of people there, there were enough that could have easily taken him.

Some other interesting things from our Beach trip:


  • We were playing by the ropes that divide the beach into sections. D was taking sand from on the other side of the rope and the lifeguard comes over and says "Excuse me, we have that beach closed due to high bacteria counts." Um, OK...but tell me this... if one side of the rope is OK, why isn't the other? It isn't like there is Plexiglas separating the two. There is a rope that's being bounced from the waves and if there's something on one side, I'm sure there's stuff on the other. I think they just didn't want to have two places opened.
  • Never leave a teenager put sunscreen on you. I have such a sunburn on my back, that I could cry at any moment. You can see where the hand-marks are on my back. I can't stand even having a bra or shirt on and sleeping on my back is NOT an option right now.
  • On our way home, we passed a car with it's four ways on, that was still partially on the road. I could see little kids in the car, playing on the drivers seat. We turn around to check, but others are there by that time. We still pull over and there is a girl that's in her late teens/early twenties sitting on the passenger side with 2 little kids BOUNCING around the car. She's excited that people stopped, and told us the others were helping her. One question - Why in the hell do you have 2 little kids unbuckled in a car that isn't even completely off the road? The one is standing "driving" and he's about 4. They were on a crest of a hill and he could have very easily knocked the car out of gear.

Friday - Our last official day. Damn, I really don't want to go back to work. I hurt from the sunburn and really don't want to get dressed! We decide to go to the zoo since the weather is to be cooler. So, we pack up the car (again) and off we go. It was a really nice trip and for once, we didn't get lost! We actually bought a season pass so we can go this fall and hopefully see more animals, since some were laying down due to the heat. M only had a few moments that we thought we would have to go to the car with her. W seemed to like the animals until they would come to the glass. Anything that could come close, he's scream... bats, sea lions, fish, snakes. It didn't matter if it was big or small, he still hated it!

Saturday - Well here we are. I guess I need to go do the normal things today like laundry and such. I really want to work on my pond today. I'm dead tired though as both kids were in bed with us last night (M had nightmares) and between practically falling out of bed to the sunburn to actually getting cold from the fan. W just put tons of toys that have wheels here between the doorway to our living room. I'm not quite sure what that is... a shrine maybe? Who knows? All I know at this point is that I need coffee and will hopefully get time to post some pictures later today.

Oh, some other random thoughts from vacation:

  • Although I don't have a picture of this, I should. Someone really needed to tell a woman that was walking across the street at PSU that if you use self tanner, you are to put it on BOTH sides of your legs and arms. Remember this Friends episode that Ross went to the tanning salon and was only sprayed on one side? Yep, that's what this lady looked like! D and I both looked - then looked again!

  • If you are at a stoplight and everyone in the lane next to you is flying by you, chances are that the light changed! We were sitting behind a car at a red light and when the light changed, the car kept sitting there. Cars in the other lane kept flying by, but yet, the car just sat there. I reached over a honked the horn and then finally they started to go. We thought they broke down for a moment, but I guess they were just in deep thought. The funny part was you could see them look at the light, then look at the cars passing, then looked at the light again.

No comments: