Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Our CPS Meeting

Yesterday (Monday) was our CPS meeting. I literally was ill all morning with worry and such. So many "what ifs" ran through my mind, I'm surprised that I was able to work. What if she didn't show? What if they feel that we did something wrong? What if she lies again? DD shows up to pick me up (on time, I may add) and we go for the meeting.

Inside their office, people are rushing around like ants at a picnic. One girl was going in for a "pee" test, the official with bright blue gloves following. One lady had more keys on her than a janitor. In another corner, a group of kids talking smack - one trying to out do the other with his stories. Of course the person that we needed to see was on the phone, so we got to watch the dramatics for a bit. DD looked so out of place watching everything, almost a bit scared. I, in turn was a bit embarrassed as people kept coming in and most automatically shot dirty looks my way, if only by habit, I guess. I so wanted to yell, "Hey, I'm a good parent! I care about my child or I wouldn't be here!"

Our caseworker came out a side door (in the nick of time as I was ready to melt into either the wall or the floor) and took us back to a room with a table and 3 chairs, phone and a small bookcase with just a few magazines on it. He had us sit down and said he was going to basically moderate between us. He asked me how things were going and I said so far, so good, as she was starting to help out around the house and act responsible. I also told him I was afraid it was an act and that I was waiting for her to revert to her old self. He asked her if she learned anything by being in the shelter and asked if she wanted to go back. With her head hanging low, she said no. He asked her how things were going in the house and she said OK. He asked if anything was going on - how she was getting along with everyone, has anything changed, if she was looking for a new job at all. She said things were "OK, that she wishes that she could do the things she wants though, like staying out later than 11. I "reminded" her of the time she was to be at a friends house watching movies, only to find out that they were out cruising around (and they both have junior licenses, which means they need to be in by 11). Long story short, the caseworker told her that only she can "fix" what's "wrong" here - bring over her friends, if the house isn't "clean" enough, she has 2 able bodied arms and legs, so clean it up, listen to what we tell her to do and earn privileges and respect back. She was crying and he asked if she would do counseling, which she said no. Wish us luck.

On the other home fronts, DD2 has been doing well at camp. She's bringing homework home at night doing math problems, which is is a whiz at. Now to get her to not take 20 minutes in the bathroom! She again wanted us to wipe her tonight... this is something that she just restarted in the last few months. She's also getting very agitated on socks and getting dressed in the mornings. The Noni Juice that the pediatrician recommended hasn't really changed anything, in my opinion. I think I'll be calling the peds office soon to get her medication, so that we have it regulated by school. I'm more concerned with her actions, like rolling on her brother tonight. I just don't want anyone to get hurt!

Oh, and speaking of that little boy... who took my son and left me an Olympic Sprinter?? When we got to daycare today, he was in the timeout chair. I thought it was for biting, which seems to be his "game of choice" lately. No, it wasn't that... he was trying to (and succeeded) get out of the classroom so he could run around! He is constantly on the move. That's probably why he's asleep on my lap right now!

No comments: